Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Stress


Fibromyalgia and Stress
It is believed that the onset of Fibromyalgia is triggered by an extremely stressful situation.  This stress can be associated with physical trauma such as a car accident or psychological stress such as physical or emotional abuse… Researchers believe people with Fibromyalgia have brains that are different than healthy people. The brains of Fibromyalgia patients show structural and behavioral differences and it is unknown if the brain anomalies cause Fibromyalgia symptoms. 
Anomalies – something that deviates from normal, standard or expected.
It has been suggested these brain anomalies might be the result of childhood stress or prolonged and severe stress. 
Stress plays a huge role in triggering Fibromyalgia symptoms for me.  I find sometimes I do not know my limitations and I exert myself more than I should.  I sometimes to prove a point to somebody else or myself will tackle an issue without thinking about the outcome.  I will end up getting myself all stressed out because I am not really up to the task at hand.  I will then push myself beyond my physical capability.  The outcome of this mess is more stress and physical pain.
It is like I am on a merry-go-round and I can’t get off. 

It goes something like this…..

Pain and then Stress from the Stress of more Pain
and then more Pain from the Stress of more Pain.

I know that was like a long riddle but the cycle goes like that… Never-ending sometimes!

I know everybody has different kinds of stresses that they deal with and that some stresses can’t be removed.  I understand this fully!  This is a hard predicament we all deal with.  I get stressed just thinking about things that need to be done.  I have a very hard time saying NO to myself!
I find certain days I am well aware things are too strenuous to deal with and yet I will find myself tackling them to the point of exhaustion.  My type A personality causes me a lot of grief! I find not only do I get stress from doing things; I also get stress from not doing things.  I will punish myself emotionally sometimes with negative speeches that I am particularly good at giving to myself.  This of course will add stress to the Fibromyalgia pain I am already dealing with.  I will get tension throughout the body and in return more pain is to come my way.  I do have many stresses that are out of my control.  My family, friends, neighbors, bright lights, smells and noises…. Actually the list goes on and on.
 
I am not sure about anybody else but I do not know how to relax.  I don’t think I ever have known how to relax… My Doctor’s appointments and physical therapy have always been a stressful occurrence to me.  I will hear them say “Cindy try to relax” and I will say OK!  Problem is I do not relax and it takes them a very long time to do whatever needs to be done.

I am personally working on this issue as I write this blog. 
If anybody was to ask me what my biggest failure in life was?  I would say Saran Plastic Wrap….
Seriously!   The only logic I have for myself about this issue is:  I don’t have the right technique, the patience for, or I simply always get the box that doesn’t work right.

If I was to be asked what is the hardest thing for me to do?  I would say how to relax…

My body is always in fight or flight mode.  I do not know for sure if everybody else deals with this.  But I do know this is a very common problem for most people with Fibromyalgia.
I know there are ways to relieve stress and they do work.  My problem is trying to minimize the stress.

Certain things I do that help with stress is….

Warm baths with Epsom salt
Vitamin supplements example sub-lingual vitamin B12
Hot tea example Chamomile
Comedy movie
Deep breathing

I have never personally tried Yoga but I have heard amazing things about it. 

I know for some people massages do remarkable things to help relax the body.  I do not like massages because they hurt me extremely bad. 

I have tried acupuncture but I found I tensed up so bad before the procedure that outcome wasn’t as beneficial as it is for most people.

The biggest advice I could give somebody is to calm the mind.  My mind is in constant go mode.  It never stops thinking and over thinking things.  I am trying to find peace and if anybody has any ideas I am open to them….I am learning about relaxation techniques to apply to my daily regimen.  I believe with time they will help me immensely.

I do love to exercise.  I actually find this releases my stress the best.  My problem right now is I can’t exercise due to my fractured feet.  This is one of my biggest stresses because I can’t do the one thing that helps me the most.  I love aerobic exercise and aquatic pool therapy and walking.
At this time frame I can’t do any of the above. 

I know getting a good night’s sleep is something very beneficial.  But this is something out of my control right now… I will not take medicine to help me sleep!  I will wait until my body allows it to happen… Insomnia for me comes and goes.  I find when I am under a lot of stress and physical pain sleeping doesn’t seem to be possible no matter what technique I try. 
I will share one stressor with all of you that I haven’t been able to put to rest… A loved one moved away 1 ½ years ago without a Good Bye, see U later, an address, a phone number, an email.  They just simply vanished! 
I checked every way possible to locate them with no progress.  I would check obituaries just about anything you could imagine.  This loved one showed up a week ago at my door claiming they just needed to get away…. This stress is overbearing right now especially because of the lack of understanding about the way they handled things.
I of course heard I’m sorry; I love U and so on. 

I will tell you that stress does the body in!
Fibromyalgia feeds upon it and dishes it out freely to us. The best thing any of us can do is find things that work and apply them daily to our routines.  If you are like me best thing I can say is try to get out of your own way.  My daughters tend to be very beneficial to me because they know I am my worst enemy.  They will remind me or take over things they know will affect my body.

I have no miracle cure for stress but I will tell you that if you do not address it.

STRESS will affect U…. and U will pay dearly with Fibromyalgia


No comments:

Post a Comment